This Was Life -- Freshman Year

Sunday, February 01, 2004


How about that Super Bowl, eh?

I have to admit, it turned out to be pretty exciting at the end. I expected New England to get into a rhythm on offense sooner or later, but I was surprised that Carolina played as well as they did in the second half. In the end, it was the Patriots' consistency on both sides of the ball that gave them the win. I've heard a lot of people say that the Pats didn't deserve to be in the big game. Let me say this: I think they are overrated. But they were also the best overall team in the AFC. Players like Peyton Manning and Priest Holmes are better than anyone on New England, but their teams weren't as well-rounded as the Patriots.

At the same time, Carolina is also very overrated (and I'm not just saying that because they beat my Eagles). In fact, I would say that either St. Louis or Green Bay is a better team, but they didn't show up when they need to. I will give the Panthers credit for not giving up and fighting until the end. On the other hand, New England didn't play up to their potential, and gave Carolina a chance to hang on late in the game. The score wasn't quite what I expected, and though I'd say the outcome is accurately portrayed, the fact that it was so close only represents the last two quarters. Carolina played horribly in the first half, which I think caused the Patriots to relax a little bit. But both teams stepped up their game when it counted most.

I thought there was a pretty good group of commercials this year. Whatever you think about beer and alcohol, Budweiser and Bud Light once again had the best ads, as they usually do. My personal favorites were the ones with the biting dog, the donkey that wanted to be a Clydesdale, the flatulent horse, and the referee with a nagging wife. Chevrolet had an amusing ad with the kids that needed their mouths washed out with soap. And if you were watching after the game, Subway also aired what I thought was a funny commercial. There was also a really weird commerical for Gillette, apparently explaining how great shaving is. I'm sorry, but I've never had such a "wonderful" experience when I've shaved.

And I can't help but to comment on the halftime show. Did you see the incident with Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson? I'm sorry, but that was just uncalled for. It was an absolute disgrace (if you didn't see it, after singing "Rock Your Body," Justin tore off part of Janet's outfit, exposing her bare breast). When I first saw it, it seemed like it was planned, since it looked like Janet had something covering her nipple. But I just read an article about it, saying that the event wasn't planned, and everyone involved was deeply sorry. That would explain why the network quickly cut away and didn't comment on it. In fact, Justin had this to say about it:

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Wardrobe malfunction? Pulling off an article of clothing is not a wardrobe malfunction. I find it hard to believe that they didn't plan it, but that doesn't change anything. Besides that, the halftime show sucked anyway. It was nothing but hip hop (seriously, go away hip hop!). But that can be attibuted to the fact that MTV produced it. And that's because Viacom owns both CBS, the network that broadcasted the game, and MTV. The funny thing is, the NFL said "it's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime." I'm sorry, but that just amuses me.

Another football season over, and at this point, I couldn't care less. Six months until training camp starts, and the Eagles begin their next quest to choke in a big game. On the other hand, Philadelphia's arena football team debuts next week, Spring Training begins for the Phillies in less than three weeks, and NASCAR starts again in two weeks. At least I've got a couple of things to look forward to, until they disappoint me as well. But I don't want to end this on such a sour note, so let me say this: "Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow!"


Comments: Post a Comment

Home